Contrary to popular belief, waxing can actually be a pleasant experience — when you know what you're doing, that is. To ensure a smooth, bump-free Valentine's Day, we've asked NYC's celeb-adored Strip Ministry of Wax to share their top tips & tricks:
Scheduling Your Appointment
Waxing should be done at least one or two days in advance of a special occassion, like Valentine’s Day, especially if you are new to waxing as people with very sensitive skin might incur slight redness and blotchiness. It will calm down in a day or so.
Should that happens, apply a moisturizing product for instant calming and healing (we use Strip's Ice Cream, $34). For bumps and itching, we also recommend our X’ed Out Cream ($34), an alcohol-free, anti-inflammatory treatment.
Preparing for the Service
To ensure topmost comfort, we suggest the following:
• Do not shave or pluck their hair prior to your wax appointment as hair strands that are too short might not be removed efficiently. Optimum length for waxing is around 4-6mm. Our Waxperts will trim the hair if it is too long.
• Do not wax during your period. Not only it is unhygienic, the pain level will also be heightened. Do leave one week before and after your period before waxing.
• Avoid waxing for a couple of hours after consumption of alcohol, as contrary to popular beliefs, stimulants can cause the skin to be extra sensitive.
• Avoid sun bed or tanning 2 – 3 days prior to waxing as it makes the skin more sensitive and can cause dry, flaky skin which will be unsuitable for waxing. Keep skin moisturized for a more effective and pain-less wax.
• You can always opt to take an aspirin or ibuprofen about 30 - 45 minutes before waxing to help reduce discomfort, especially if you are waxing sensitive areas such as the bikini, Brazilian or chest.
For the next 24 hours after one’s wax, we recommend:
• No hot baths; No swimming or sunbathing; heat or UV treatments like sunbeds or saunas
• No tight clothing
• No perfumed products including deodorant, anti-perspirant, self tanner or make up
• No touching, scrubbing or rubbing the area; No intensive exercise
• Do exfoliate every 4 – 7 days after the wax appointment. Start the exfoliation 3 days after your waxing session. Use a fine grain scrub, such as Malin + Goetz Peppermint Body Scrub ($30).
• Do contact your esthetician if anything looks off. At STRIP, we offer a dedicated SOS email address for customers (firstname.lastname@example.org).
When/If Things Go Wrong
Bad wax may causes minor burns, skin discomfort, discoloration and ingrown hair. At-home treatments, like those mentioned above, are great to have on hand to help calm and moisturize irritated skin. Tea Tree Oil also helps to treat and prevent ingrown hair problems, and chilled chamomile tea is also a great way to soothe redness. Alternatively, you can also pop into a spa that offers post-wax extractions, or " bikini facials."