How to Nail an Interview: At-Home Manicure Tips
Jin Soon Choi, founder of Jin Soon Natural Hand & Foot Spas in New York City and all-star nail guru (the first client in her fabulous spa was none other than Sarah Jessica Parker!), shares her expert tips for interview-appropriate nails and giving yourself a salon manicure at home.
What is your nail advice to someone who comes in to one of your salons before an interview?
First, I'll ask the person what kind of interview she's going to. Then, I'll advise her on the color and shape. If they are interviewing for a more corporate or business-related position, I'll advise her to have a clean, intelligent look: a soft, rounded-square shape, short length and a nude shade of nail polish. For creative or fashion-related interviews, I'll advise her to be more daring and trendy with her choice of nail colors. Her nails should be connected to her fashion style as part of her complete look, so she will look effortlessly stylish.
What do you think is the best interview-appropriate nail length?
Short to medium length.
Are there any specific colors or palettes one should avoid?
Try to avoid any shocking colors that get too much attention such as neon, or extreme light or dark colors.
How can you adapt trendy shades and designs for the work place?
First, find the shade that complements your skin tone, and then let the nature of your workplace dictate whether or not you can wear it. If you're ever unsure, ask your Human Resources department or your co-workers who have been working at the office for several seasons.
Jin Soon Choi's Steps for How to Do a Manicure at Home
• Shape your nails: Trim them to a short or medium length and use a nail file to round edges.
• Push back the cuticles: Massage a moisturizing oil on cuticles and gently push cuticles back with an orange stick.
• Clean nail surface: Dampen a cotton ball with an alcohol or non-acetone nail polish remover and wipe on nails.
• Apply base coat
• Apply your choice of nail polish: If you have time, apply two layers.
• Apply a quick dry topcoat: If you don't have enough time to use a base or top coat, use a three-in-one nail polish such as Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure Nail Polish.
For more interview beauty tips from hair and makeup pros, view our Interview Beauty Tips Photo Gallery!