Reunion Special Thursday at 8/7c
As you may or may not know, the “Project Runway” show at Fashion Week in February actually involves more than just the finalists, so that the audience (and the Internet at large) doesn’t spoil future episodes in advance. The first time I personally became aware of this was when I was scrolling through New York Magazine’s site and realized I was looking at the collection from Season 2 designer Kara Janx, who got the boot before the finale. (And then I thought I had uncovered some vast fashion conspiracy before it all clicked together.)
Having been in the audience for this year’s show and not knowing who was actually making it forward to the final three, I have to say that these happened to be the top three contestants whose work stood out to me then amongst the record-setting 10 who showed that day. And 10, FYI, is a whole lotta look!
I remember people actually gasping when Seth Aaron’s first piece on Kristina came out, Michael Kors raving about Emilio’s gold metallic dress (FYI: One of my many talents is long-distance lip reading!), and being impressed that Mila roughed up the models’ looks (which, hey, was Michael’s advice other talent: psychic abilities!). These three finalists, whether you liked their personalities or their aesthetic or not, really brought forward some of their best work and persevered through some serious sleep deprivation and other pressure-cooker situations to get this far.
Clearly, Emilio’s knockout gold stunner.
Lorena’s coat and dress with a more polished version of his ESosa branding was impeccable. (And why does her eye makeup always look phenom?)
Seth Aaron’s opening look really set the tone for this entire collection, and I loved the way he always had interesting tights paired with “simple” pieces.
Appreciated Mila’s use of separates, the touches of shine and the fact that I could see women wearing these every day with pieces they already have. They don’t need an “excuse” to dress up.
Enough about the finale; let’s move on to the reunion special. Thoughts:
1. I am disappointed that Janeane didn’t do one last cry, but Ping covered that for us.
2. If I were Valeria, I would be stomping around in a fit of rage, because as much as I love Kristina, she would have, de facto, won. But I love Kristina even more for acknowledging the sadness of that situation.
3. The “allegiance to models” conversation kind of confuses me. Yes, it’s probably easier to keep the same model, because you are familiar with how your clothes fit on her body, but they are GIVEN the OPTION to switch! Build a bridge! (Or a dress!)
4. OH. EM. GEE. Nuns wept somewhere in an Irish village when Jay threw out the insult heard ’round the world to poor Cerri. Seriously? SERIOUSLY?!
5. Maya’s in-show and post-show responses as to why she left were pretty much one and the same, offering no clarity to anyone, and or to my insatiable need for the truth!
6. Finally, I’ll say it once again: Anthony needs his own show.