Here is a less flammable version of Nina's winning belt:
5 meters beige 3mm Polyurethane Cord www.tohoshoji-ny.com)
1 meter red 3mm Polyurethane Cord (www.tohoshoji-ny.com)
200@ 6mm red glass beads (www.tohoshoji.com)
2" D ring (www.m&j.com)
2@ ¼" Screw in Studs (www.hardwarelf.com)
4 @ 1" x 4" strips of leather
Size 14 or 16 leather sewing machine needles
Clear glue (I used Beacon 527 Multi Use Glue)
3M 365 Adhesive Transfer tape, or double stick tape (www.drillspot.com)
1. Using a tape measure, measure around where you want the belt to sit. Deduct two inches from this measurement, and cut five beige pieces of cord this length.
2. Cover the curved section of the 2" D-ring with glue and wrap the ring with the red cord. Set it aside to dry.
3. Cover the back of two 1" x 4" leather strips with the adhesive transfer tape. Burnish and peel off the paper backing. Place the five beige cords, equally spaced, on the back of one leather strip, overlapping by two inches.
4. Place the second leather strip, wrong sides together, on top of the first, carefully lining up the edges. Topstitch around all sides, 1/8" from the edge.
5. Using the smallest size on a rotary leather hole-punch, make a hole 1" from the cord end. Using the largest size on the rotary hole-punch make a hole ½" from the other end. Install the screw in stud into the small hole.
6. With the stud facing up, loop the leather strip through the D-ring and close it by inserting the larger hole on to the stud.
7. String 40 glass beads on each beige cord. You may have to trim the edges to do this.
8. Repeat steps 3 thru 6 on the other end of the beige cords, being careful to prevent the cords from twisting. Attach this end to the D-ring and distribute the beads.
Check back next week for how to recreate Episode 2's winning look ... yourself!-Laura Bennett