"Mom's Cooking": Baby Back Ribs, Tomato and Mozzarella Salad, and Rhubarb Brown Betty
Learn how to make the delicious recipes featured on "Mom's Cooking." Watch "Mom's Cooking" weekdays at 11 and 11:30 am et/pt.
Carol’s “Melt in Your Mouth” Baby Back Ribs
- 14 1/2 ounces tomato sauce
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Saute garlic and onion in olive oil until onions are opaque (do not allow garlic to brown).
- Add remaining ingredients and allow to simmer 20 minutes.
- 4 racks of loin back ribs
- 4 or 5 celery stalks, green leaves included
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 jalapeño pepper (seeds removed)
- One apple, quartered
- 2 oranges, quartered
- Several fresh sage leaves
- 2 cups orange juice
- 4 bottles of pilsner beer
- Chili pepper oil for brushing
- Sea salt to taste
- Remove membrane from inside of ribs. Place ribs on sides in a large stockpot.
- Add to the ribs: celery, garlic, fresh sage, jalapeño, apple wedges and orange wedges. Pour orange juice and beer over to cover ribs. Simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 hours until you can press against two rib sections and see that they will easily separate.
- Remove ribs from stockpot and brush each side lightly with chili pepper oil.
- Marinate ribs in barbecue sauce for 10 minutes.
- Grill ribs over low to medium heat for about 10 minutes or until seared and hot.