Turkey Chili Crunch
Turkey Chili CrunchMake this "Cook Yourself Thin" recipe.
Calories per serving: 355
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound ground turkey
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Pinch ground cinnamon
1/2 red onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 carrots, diced 1/2 inch
1 14-ounce can chopped whole tomatoes, with juice
1/2 chipotle pepper in adobo, seeded and chopped, with about 1/2 teaspoon adobo sauce
3 cups water
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
2 14-ounce–15-ounce cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup chopped cilantro, plus 1/4 cup for serving
Bittersweet chocolate, grated, for serving
3 scallions, chopped, for serving
1/2 cup nonfat yogurt, for serving
Tortilla chips, for garnish
1. In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the turkey, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and cook, stirring, 3 minutes. Add the chili powder, cumin, oregano and cinnamon, and cook, stirring, 3 minutes, or until the water evaporates and the turkey sizzles.
2. Add the onion, garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook until the onion is wilted, 5 to 7 minutes. If the onion or the spices begin to stick to the pan, add 2 tablespoons water and scrape with a wooden spoon to release.
3. Add the carrots, tomatoes, chipotle pepper, water and cocoa powder.
Bring to a simmer; reduce the heat to low, and cook, partially covered, 25 minutes. Stir in the beans and 1/2 cup cilantro, and cook 15 more minutes.
4. Spray a whole-wheat tortilla with cooking spray and season with salt and pepper (or cayenne and ground cumin). Slice thinly and bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 5 to 10 minutes, until crispy.
5. To serve, ladle into soup bowls. Top with scallions, the remaining cilantro, a spoonful of yogurt and some grated chocolate! Garnish with tortilla chips.