Southwestern Turkey Burgers With Sweet Potato Fries
Southwestern Turkey Burgers With Sweet Potato FriesMake this "Cook Yourself Thin" recipe.
Calories per serving, turkey burger: 342
Calories per serving, sweet potato fries: 89
For the sweet potato fries
2 sweet potatoes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more for sprinkling
Juice of 1/2 lime
For the turkey burger
1 1/3 pounds lean ground turkey
1 4-ounce can diced green chiles, drained
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2–3 spritzes canola oil in a mister
3 ounces 50%-reduced-fat pepper-jack cheese, cut into thin slices
4 whole-wheat Kaiser rolls
Romaine lettuce leaves
Red onion, sliced
1/2 avocado, sliced
1. For the sweet potato fries, preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
2. Wash and dry the potatoes and, with the skin on, slice into 1/2-inch-thick rounds; cut the rounds into 1/2-inch-thick finger-shaped pieces. Toss the potatoes in a bowl with the oil, chili powder, garlic powder and salt.
3. On a baking sheet, spread the sweet potato fries in a single layer and roast, stirring every 10 minutes, until brown and tender, 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from the oven, transfer to a platter or bowl and sprinkle with a little more salt.
4. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix the lean ground turkey with the diced chiles and season with salt and pepper. Shape into patties and refrigerate until ready to cook.
5. Heat a large grill pan or nonstick skillet on medium heat and spritz with canola oil. Add the turkey patties to the grill pan and cook until browned on one side, about 4 minutes. Flip, reduce the heat to low, cover (if using a skillet) and cook until the juices run pale pink, about 4 more minutes. Top with the reduced-fat pepper-jack cheese during the last minute.
6. Toast the rolls in the oven or in a toaster oven. Alternatively, grill them 1 minute on each side.
7. To assemble: On a platter, place the fries and a burger on a bun and top with lettuce, tomato, onion and avocado slices. Squeeze lime juice over the fries and serve.