Marinated Lamb Kebabs With Yogurt Sauce
Marinated Lamb Kebabs With Yogurt SauceMake this "Cook Yourself Thin" recipe.
Calories per serving: 369
Calories per serving, pita: 85
For the lamb
1 large garlic clove
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 cup mixed pine nuts, pistachios and chopped dried apricots
1/2 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon honey
2 tablespoons tomato paste
3/4 pound leg of lamb (trimmed of all visible fat), 1-inch cubed
For the salad
1 cup iceberg lettuce, shredded
1 cup purple cabbage
4 tomatoes, sliced thinly
For the dressing
4 heaping tablespoons low-fat Greek yogurt
2 heaping tablespoons mayonnaise
1 clove garlic, minced
2 whole-wheat pitas, sliced in half
1. Completely cover and soak eight bamboo skewers in cold water.
2. Pulse the garlic, salt, pine nuts, pistachios and apricots in a food processor. Once the mixture has turned
to a paste, add the ground cumin, coriander, turmeric and paprika, and pulse again to mix thoroughly. 3. Add the mixture into a medium-sized bowl and combine with the lemon juice, olive oil, honey and tomato paste.
4. Add the cubed lamb to the paste and coat the meat completely. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate 20 minutes to 2 hours. While the meat is marinating, make the salad and the dressing.
5. For the salad, toss together the shredded cabbage and lettuce.
6. For the dressing, mix together the yogurt, mayonnaise and minced garlic
7. Drain the bamboo skewers and pat dry. Thread four pieces of lamb onto each skewer.
8. Heat grill pan so that it is hot but not smoking. Cook the meat for 4 minutes on each of its 4 sides, turning them carefully. Once the meat is all cooked, remove and allow it to rest for 5 minutes under aluminum foil.
9. While the meat is resting, place the pita bread in the toaster for a minute to puff the pita without toasting it. Once puffed up, cut along one side with a pair of clean scissors and open the hot pita pocket up. Repeat this step with the remaining pitas.
10. Spread a couple of tablespoons of the yogurt dressing into each of the pitas. Add the cooked meat from one or two skewers by easing it off the sticks with a fork. Finally, add a handful of salad and a few tomato slices.