Flank Steak Spirals
Calories per serving: 287
Nonstick cooking spray
2 pounds flank steak, butterflied
2 tablespoons salt, divided
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
1 cup skim ricotta cheese
3 tablespoons Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
15 ounces frozen, chopped spinach, defrosted
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
2 tablespoons currants
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Preheat the broiler to high. Line an 11-x-17-inch rimmed baking sheet with foil, and spray with cooking spray.
2. If you can’t find butterflied steak, don’t worry, it’s very simple to butterfly a steak. Lay the steak flat on a cutting board. Starting at the middle of the steak, using a sharp slicing knife, slice crosswise through the steak and cut halfway down; do not cut the steak in half. Turn the knife; you will be slicing parallel to the cutting board through the middle of the steak, stopping before the end. Open one side as if you are opening a book, and press down to flatten. Continue to cut a parallel cut through the other side. The steak should now be approximately 17 inches long.
3. Place the steak on the prepared baking sheet.
4. Season both sides of the steak using half the salt and pepper. Spread the ricotta down the length of the steak. Sprinkle the Pecorino over the ricotta.
5. Remove any excess water from the spinach, and top the cheese with the spinach. Sprinkle the chopped garlic over the spinach, and season with half of the remaining salt and pepper. Sprinkle the pine nuts and raisins over the spinach.
6. To make the 17-inch-long roll, roll the bottom of the steak away from you to form a tight jellyroll, stuffing the mixture inside as you roll, and keep the seam side on the bottom.
7. In a small bowl combine the remaining salt and pepper, balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Brush all over the outside of the steak.
8. Broil for 12 to 15 minutes for medium-rare. Let the steak sit for 5 minutes or so before slicing into 1/2-inch pieces. Serve immediately, or chilled.
9. Drizzle with extra balsamic vinegar if desired.