Fat-Free Meringue Kisses
Calories per meringue: 25
3 egg whites
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons edible decorations, or colored sugar, if desired
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line a baking tray with parchment or a silicone sheet.
3. In a large stand mixer fitted with a whisk, beat the egg whites on high speed until soft peaks form. Add the sugar slowly, a few spoonfuls at a time, while beating, until the meringue is stiff and shiny. Add the vanilla.
4. Using a large spoon, drop tablespoons of meringue onto the prepared baking sheet in the shape of kisses, about two inches apart. Or cut the corner off a large plastic bag, fill with meringue, and squeeze out the kisses. Sprinkle with colored sugar and small candy hearts or any edible decorations.
5. Lower the oven temperature to 300 degrees.
6. Bake the meringues for about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
7. Remove from oven, let cool on the tray for 2 minutes, then remove to wire rack and cool completely. Store in tightly sealed metal container, as a plastic container will make the meringues soggy.