Apple and Cinnamon Cake
Apple and Cinnamon CakeMake this "Cook Yourself Thin" recipe.
Calories per serving: 243
For the cake
1 large apple (about 10 ounces)
Juice of 1 lemon
1 1/4 cups finely ground almonds
1 cup self-rising flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
3 large eggs
3/4 cup superfine sugar
2 cups peeled sweet potato (the white variety), finely grated at the very last minute to prevent discoloration
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the icing
1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease the base and sides of an 8-inch springform pan with a little vegetable oil and a pastry brush. Line the pan with parchment paper.
2. Peel, core and chop the apple into 1/4-inch cubes. Toss them in a small bowl with some lemon juice to prevent oxidation.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the ground almonds, flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl, using a handheld or standing mixer, whisk together the eggs and sugar until pale and tripled in size, about 3 minutes on high speed. Add the grated sweet potato, and whisk to combine. Lower the speed and add the dry ingredients to the bowl. Add the vanilla extract and mix. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the apple cubes.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes. Cover the top with aluminum foil and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
6. Once cooked, cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes and make the icing.
7. To make the icing, stir the sifted sugar with the lemon juice. Drizzle liberally over the top of the cake, spreading with a knife to even out, and serve.